Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I see dead people!

Ok so it's my third day into the course, and everything's been pretty decent.. albeit boring. I've had lectures, scenario group meets, tutorials, library tours and they've been from around three to five on a scale of 1-10 in terms of interest and excitement.
So yeah, today i had a practical on anatomy..
..and saw a fucking cadaver. Did you hear that click? That's the sound of the interest meter sparking up to 11/10.
Yeah - there were three abdominal section cadavers, two with intact digestive system organs and one with everything. There was a mad upper-body specimen, but it had half a head so it was like pretty surreal, because it was like looking at me the whole time, i'm convinced of it. Many of my friends had had this prac already, and the funniest thing i heard from everyone was that they walked out of the lesson feeling hungry. I mean, wtf, we aren't cannibals guys? But they were so right. I got on the bus home feeling like i could've gone for a rack of ribs at Hurricanes. What i also found pretty strange was how the anatomy facilitator kept on talking about the cadavers as bits of meat. I sort of raised my eyebrows at comments like "Oh this is a great cut" and "This one looks really fresh". I deadset expected him to start licking his lips and take a bite. The whole prac was pretty cool, the most notable con being the staaank of formaldehyde. (formaldehyde is used in the preservation and fixation of the cadaver and specimens)
Anyway, my group and i thought this whole experience was hectic, but there is always that one party pooper in the group, isn't there? We had a fainter,who will remain unnamed yet forever remembered, and even though everyone was nice about it, people still gave him/her shit about it afterwards. I chose the higher path and didn't mention anything. Actually, i did do a few awesome fainting expressions and one mad sick burn on him/her, but that's over.
Ok so all in all, quite an exciting 2 hours! HOWEVER, the four hour break in the leadup to the prac was a killer, i think i walked up and down the campus with a mate about 100 times. It was a chat day i think!

No comments:

Post a Comment